Monday, March 7, 2016

Study in Sky Blue (Feed/Nourish)

The sky is always there, expansive and eternal. Even in a place where the landscape is banal or depressing, the sky is above. And the sky unifies: because I know what is over the next hill, the sky for me represents a kind of continuity with other places I cannot see. Even as a child, I would look up at it and then try to figure out where things were. Over there, to the east but a little south, under that set of clouds? That would be where Mount Hood is. Over there, where the blue bleeds into a hazy yellow with the distance, I imagined the vast Willamette Valley stretched out.

Funny, though, that when I paint a landscape, how often I treat the sky as something to be dispensed with efficiently, as a potential point of failure that needs to be contained. The sky, in my painted world, is so often a mere backdrop, meant not to be looked at, like the blown-out, all-white skies of 19th century photographers.

Partly it is fear. Look up on a good day, a blue day, and try to name that color. Try to explain why the blue is not blue but a kind of purple, and yet for inexplicable reasons it has a yellow cast at the edges. Or why a late sky, which yellows even more, can fade to blue but never turns green. In truth I think the sky isn't blue, it is many blues. These are things even a small child can learn, laying in the grass looking up, even if they cannot be fully explained then, or now.


Study in Sky Blue, Watercolor, 12 inches x16 inches, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment